Baptism Chain Reference
BAPTISM CHAIN REFERENCE
To be covered in your meeting:
A- To see the Kingdom of God we must be born again.
B- To enter the Kingdom of God we must be born again.
C- Born of the water (H2O) and of the Spirit (Holy Spirit).
D- Baptism is clearly necessary to enter the Kingdom.
A- In the Greek: Baptizmo (Baptizo) = to immerse
Rhantizo (Rhantizo) = to sprinkle
Cheo (Cheo) = to pour
B- At baptism, two things happen:
1- We are forgiven of our sins.
2- We receive the Holy Spirit.
A- We are baptized into Christ's death.
B- In baptism, we participate in Christ's:
C- We are raised to walk a new life.
D- If we have died with Christ, we will also live with Him in the
newness of life.
A- Through faith in the power of God we have died to self and have
been born again.
B- Faith is essential to please God (Hebrews 11:6).
A- He who believes and is baptized will be saved.
B- He who disbelieves will be condemned.
C- Belief in the working of God is essential.
I Peter 3:21
A- Baptism is what saves us!
B- By an appeal to God for a good conscience through the
resurrection of Jesus; belief and faith!
A- At baptism we are clothed in Christ; we have become sons of
God through faith in Christ Jesus.
B- By clothing ourselves with Christ we have put off the sinful
nature (Galatians 5:24).
I Corinthians 12:12, 13
A- We become members of the body of Christ at baptism.
(The body of Christ = The Church)
Ephesians 4:4, 5
A- These is only one baptism today that will get us into the only
CONVERSIONS IN THE NEW TESTAMENT
Acts 2:41 First Christians in Jerusalem.
Acts 8:12,13 Simon the Sorcerer.
Acts 8:26-38 Ethiopian Eunuch.
Acts 16:13-15 Lydia, the purple cloth dealer.
Acts 16:22-34 Philippian jailer.
Acts 18:8 Corinthians.
Acts 19:1-5 Ephesians.
Acts 22:3-16 Apostle Paul (also Acts 9:1-22)
Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15,16
A- Jesus gave us this final commission:
1- Preach the good news in the entire world.
2- Make disciples of all nations.
B- How do we make these disciples?
1- Preach to them.
2- Baptize them.
3- Teach them everything Jesus has commanded.
C- Jesus will be with you always in this mission!
Home Work Assignment:
1. Write the summarized version of study down (down below) in a blank page of your Bible. Your mentor will show you how to glue onion-skin (tracing) paper in your Bible using white (Elmer’s) glue. You may want to draw lines, using a ruler, on your paper for easy writing. If your Bible does not have empty pages, glue on some of your own blank pages.
2. Write the following helpful information after writing points 1 through 18 in your Bible:
a. Bible baptism is an “immersion” as oppose to a “sprinkling” or a “pouring”:
1. baptizo – (bap-tid'-zo) to make whelmed (i.e. fully wet); to baptize
(note: “whelm” means “submerge”).
2. rhantizo – (hran-tid'-zo) to render besprinkled; sprinkle.
3. cheo – (kheh'-o) to pour.
b. Baptism is biblically described as a burial (Romans 6:4; Col. 2:12).
3. Build a baptism chain reference by doing the following:
a) Go to Acts 2:38 (point #1) in your Bible and write, on the margin next to that verse, the following:
Bapt: Acts 2:41
b) Go to Acts 2:41 (point #2) in your Bible and write, on the margin next to that verse, the following:
Bapt: Acts 22:16
c) Go to Acts 22:16 (point #3) in your Bible and write, on the margin next to that verse, the following:
Bapt: Heb. 10:22
d) Keep on doing this until you get to Col. 2:11-12 (point #18).
e) Next to Col. 2:11-12, write, on the margin next to that verse, the following: Bapt: Acts 2:38
f) Now you have a scriptural chain reference!
g) You may want to add the text in each point using a rapidograph on the margin of the Bible, next to the scripture passage.
4. Don’t be lazy! This is to your benefit! J
1. Use a thin writing pen to write with (an ultra razor thin marker or a rapidograph pen would be helpful).
2. Write small so you can write other topical studies in your Bible as you receive them.
Baptism Chain Reference
1. Acts 2:38 — Baptism is for the forgiveness of sins and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
2. Acts 2:41 — Those who gladly accepted Peter’s message of Christ were baptized.
3. Acts 22:16 — In baptism, we wash away our sins, calling on His name.
4. Heb. 10:22 — We are to have our bodies washed in pure water.
5. Titus 3:5 — We are saved by the washing of rebirth and the renewal by the Holy Spirit.
6. John 3:3-5 — We must be born of water and Spirit to enter the kingdom of heaven.
7. Acts 10:47 – We cannot forbid the water to baptize those who believe.
8. Acts 8:35f – The Ethiopian eunuch was baptized when he believed.
9. Acts 8:12-13 — The Samaritans were baptized when they believed, both men and women.
10. Acts 16:13-15 — Lydia and her household were baptized when they believed.
11. Acts 16:30-34 — The Philippian jailer and his household were baptized when they believed.
12. Acts 18:8 — The Corinthians were baptized when they believed.
13. Acts 19:1-7 — Those who received John’s baptism were re-baptized in the name of Jesus.
14. 1 Peter 3:21 — Baptism does also now save us.
15. Gal. 3:26-27 — Through faith, we put on Christ when we are baptized.
16. Romans 6:3-7 — We are buried with Christ in baptism and raised to live a new life.
17. Mark 16:15-16 — He who believes and is baptized will be saved.
18. Col. 2:11-12 — God circumcises our sins when we are buried with Christ in baptism.