The Greek word for “grace” is “charis,” which means, “unmerited favor.” A wage is something we earn; a gift is something we do not earn. Grace is the gift of God.
I. Read Romans 3:23 & Romans 6:23
1. According to Romans 3:23, who has sinned? _____________.
2. According to Romans 6:23, the wages of sin is _________ but the gift of God is _________________.
3. Since all have sinned, does anyone deserve salvation? _______.
4. Therefore, should anyone question God’s plan of salvation, even if it goes against what they were
II. Read Ephesians 2:8-10
1. According to this passage, by what is one saved? ____________.
2. According to the last part of verse 8, grace is the ________ of God.
3. Since grace comes through faith, and faith comes from hearing the word of God (Romans 10:17), and since James 1:22 tells us to obey the word, and not just hear it, therefore, in order to receive God’s grace, we must _________ and _________ the word of God.
4. According to verse 10, for what are we created? _________________________________.
5. Therefore, the grace of God leads us to do __________________________________.
III. Read Titus 2:11-14
1. The grace of God teaches us to say no to _____________________________________________.
2. The grace of God teaches us to _____________________________________________________.
IV. Read Jude 1:4
1. God will condemn those who change the grace of God into __________________________________.
2. Therefore, does the grace of God promote sinful behavior? ________.
V. Read Romans 2:1-8
1. According to verse 4, God’s kindness (grace) is supposed to lead men towards ________________.
2. What is verse 6 saying to you? _________________________________________________________.
3. What is verse 7 saying to you? _________________________________________________________.
VI. Read 2Corinthians 6:1
1. Can the grace of God be received in vain? _____.
2. According to Jude 1:4, how can one receive God’s grace in vain?
3. According to Hebrews 10:26-29, how can one receive God’s grace in vain?
JUSTICE: Getting what we deserve!
- We all deserve to be condemned to eternal hell. (Romans 3:23; Romans 6:23)
MERCY: Not getting what we deserve!
- Because of God’s mercy, He is willing to save us through the death and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ! (1Corinthians 15:1-4)
GRACE: Getting what we do not deserve!
- None of us deserve salvation. It is purely a gift. A gift to those who will receive it through faith! (Ephesians 2:8-9)
The grace of God comes through faith, which comes by hearing the Word of God. And what does the Word of God say? Jesus said…
- Believe (John 3:16).
- Repent (Luke 13:1-5).
- Be not ashamed to confess Him before men (Matthew10:32-33).
- Be baptized (Mark 16:15-16).
- Be faithful till death (Revelation 2:10).
Unfortunately, most people today want to hear “pretty words.” As ancient Israel told the prophets of old, many today say: “Speak to us pleasant words, Prophesy illusions!” (Isaiah 30:10 NASB). The sin of ancient Israel reigns today. For the Spirit warned in 2Timothy 4:3 that people will not put up with truth, but, instead, they will go to teachers that will tell them what they want to hear.
Seek truth, not “pretty words,” for Jesus said the truth will set us free (John 8:31-32).
Let us receive God’s grace by His standards and let us allow His grace to instruct us to live a life that is holy and pleasing to Him!
What has the Lord taught you in this lesson?