In the Kingdom study, we learned that the Kingdom of God is the Church. Jesus said the Kingdom is entered by water and Spirit (John 3:5). There are many churches claiming to be the church of the Bible. Yet, many of churches today teach different things and often oppose each other. How can we recognize the church that truly goes by the Bible? This study will help answer that question…
I. Read Colossians 1:18
1. According to this passage, who is the Head of the Church? ___________.
2. And the Church is Jesus’ _________.
II. Read Ephesians 4:4
1. How many bodies (churches) are there? _________.
2. Therefore, how many churches did Jesus establish? _____.
3. Yet, how many conflicting denominations and church groups are there today? _______.
III. Read 1Corinthians 12:20-27
1. According to verse 27, is the Body of Christ made up of individual people or conflicting denominations? ______________.
Identifying the Church of the Bible
IV. Read Acts 2:37-41
1. According to verse 38, what must one do in order to receive the forgiveness (remission) of sin and the gift of the Holy Spirit? A person must _______________ and be _________________.
2. If a church group teaches differently than what we see in Acts 2:38 in terms of how one is to be saved, are they the true Body of Christ?_______.
V. Read Mark 16:15-16
1. According to Jesus in verse 16, those who believe the good news (gospel) and are ____________ will be saved.
2. If a church teaches differently than what Jesus said in verse 16, are they the true Body of Christ? ____.
VI. Read 1John 4:1 (First John is near Revelation)
1. Should we believe every spirit (preacher/pastor)? _____.
2. Should we test every spirit? _______.
3. Why should we test every spirit? ____________________________________________________.
VII. Read Romans 16:17
1. Should we keep away from those who teach things that are not in harmony with Scriptures? ____.
VIII. Read Matthew 15:13-14
1. What do you think Jesus meant by the term “plant”? _______________________________________.
2. What will happen to those “plants” that God, the Father, has not planted? _______________________.
3. What happens if the blind follow the blind (false teachers)? __________________________________.
The Worship Pattern of the Church
IX. The Lord’s Supper (Communion)
1. Read Corinthians 11:23-26
a. What does the bread represent? ____________________
b. What does the drink represent? _________________________
c. Each time we take the Lord’s Supper, who do we remember? (vv. 24-25) _________________
d. Each time we take the Lord’s Supper, what are we proclaiming? (vs. 26) __________________
2. Read Acts 20:7
a. How often did they break bread (take the Lord’s Supper)? ____________________
b. Therefore, how often does the Church of the Bible take the Lord’s Supper? ________________
1. Read Ephesians 5:19
a. What was each member of the Church of the Bible commanded to do? ___________________
2. Read Colossians 3:16
a. The songs of the Church of the Bible should be designed to ____________and ____________
3. Read Hebrews 2:12
a. How do members of the Church of the Bible declare praises to God? ____________
4. Read James 5:13
a. What is singing a sign of? __________________
Each of these passages speaks of singing. This is why the Church of the Bible does not use musical instruments in the worship assemblies. As Ephesians 5:19 states, each member is commanded to sing and make melody with their hearts to God.
XI. Other Forms of Worship
1. The reading and teaching of God’s Word (1Timothy 4:13)
2. Prayer (1Timothy 2:1-2)
3. Financial Giving (1Corinthians 16:1-2)
- Giving is considered an offering to God (Philippians 4:15-18)
- Giving should be done cheerfully and willingly (2Corinthians 9:7)
Many claim to follow the Bible. However, God tells us in 1John 4:1 to test the spirits because many false prophets (preachers) have gone into the world. If what we are taught does not match the Scriptures, we must stay away from such teachers.
What has the Lord taught you in this Bible lesson?